Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Online Communities


When it comes to online communities for me, I have always been involved in the social programs whilst growing up, from msn messenger from middle school, to Facebook in high school,, and finally to Skype whilst being overseas.

These communities where always used to work out what party’s where happening on the weekend and to catch up with the latest Goss. I never really enjoyed the online communities as I have always believed it is better to interact with somebody in person (face to face). Unfortunately whilst being overseas this cannot be the case in order to contact people from home (Australia) I must use the online communities including Facebook and Skype. I have been in the United States for 4 weeks thus far and I have found I have been using these online communities’ a lot more than usual, weather talking to friends back home or to the family.  

Are Online Communities Good or Bad? That is the question I am asking myself. Obviously there are many good aspects about the online communities weather it being easy conversations with people back home or keeping up with the goss, but unfortunately there is also the aspect of seeing photos of beers, beaches, BBQ’s and hot 36 degree Celsius weather (approx. 100 degree Fahrenheit) back home, all the aspects of Australia I already miss.

Overall I think online communities are great value and make overseas living a hell of a lot easier. I think if you have Skype and Facebook, homesickness will never be an issue and any issues or problems you have with companies or persons back home can be so much more easily resolved (especially with the time difference). I recommend everybody whom are travelling overseas to become more familiarised with these online community’s before travelling as it makes your life a lot easier.

1 comment:

  1. Hot tip: In the South, ever ask a girl how many stones she weighs!;)

    ReplyDelete